Thursday, November 12, 2009

Aprende a hablar y pronunciar "Speaking and Pronuniciation Resources"


Phonetics: The sounds of Spoken Language
http://www.uiowa.edu/~acadtech/phonetics/#
 This is a great website for Spanish or English teachers because you can learn what parts of the mouth are needed to articulate different sounds in Spanish or English. I found this website interesting for my teaching context because I can help my students improve their pronunciation of specific sounds by teaching them where they have to place their tongue, lips etc.  After you choose a language, you click on a type of sound like fricatives or trills and  you will be able to see how the tongue moves every time a sound is


English 4 Kids 
pronounce.http://www.english-4kids.com/games.html
 In this website, you will find a lot of games hat will encourage your students to speak and practice their pronunciation. If you go down the list, there is a title that says "ESL Communicative Games for Learning" and under that there are a variety of games that you can play with your students. This website is for ESL teachers but you can modify the games for any teaching context depending on your students' levels and interests. I think most of the games fit in my teaching context and young learners will love playing this games.

Los pollitos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4y6PEWhGmE&feature=related
This is a very popular song called "los pollitos" that I will use with my students to help them improve their pronunciation. I think that the incorporation of songs in the language lessons is a very fun and effective way to motivate students to pronounce words in the target language. Also, singing songs is a good way to practice the pronunciation of words several times.


ESL galaxy 
 http://www.esl-galaxy.com/speaking.html%20
This website has a variety of communicative activities that will encourage your students to interact and communicate with each other. All of these activities are in English but can be modified to Spanish. I especially like the activity called "find someone who likes to..." In this activity, students have to look for other students by asking them who likes to do certain activities. For example, "Do you like watching TV?" Therefore, in this activity students have to communicate in the target language in order to fill out a list. I think this is a great activity after you introduce the words like and dislike in Spanish.

 Teaching Ideas
http://www.teachingideas.co.uk/more/timefiller/describpics.htm%20
I like this idea of "Describing Pictures" because students are encouraged to describe a weird picture given by the teacher. The picture may include shapes, letters, colors or numbers that will motivate students to do a careful observation in order to orally describe the picture. I think this activity is something that I will consider doing for my teaching context because young learners like to create and describe funny pictures.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the activity from ESL galaxy. I have something similar to that as a warm-up with students of all ages, but as a reinforcement activities with young learners. That kind of survey gives them the right mix of structure and freedom. You can change it up and ask them to do survey for colors, clothes, flashcards of vocabulary items, etc.
    By the way, have you even done a story retelling with your students. I read a book every week or two with my class. One that sticks out in my mind is "The House that Jack Built". I made flashcards to match the pictures it the book and turned it into a speaking activity. I started story and used the flashcards to elicit vocabulary and verbs. Helping the students practice collaborating somehow makes them think differently. It gives them confidence that they can communicate information even if they can't quite read everything. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Meica,
    Thank you so much for always looking at the resources in my website. I also like the ESL Galaxy activity but unfortunately I have never implemented it in my lessons. This activity is a new and great idea that I will use in the future. As far as doing story retelling, yes I have done it but I always use pictures or dramatic motions so that my students can describe what's happening in the story. My students love this activity but their Spanish is very limited so they use one or two words to retell the story instead of complete sentences.

    ReplyDelete